A Dater's Life

Saturday, July 05, 2008

Why Bother?

I'm forcing myself back into the dating world. It's a way to help avoid sitting around obsessing over Mr. Nice. I'm not looking for anything real, and I'm being very upfront about this with the men I'm chatting with.

Tomorrow I have my first alleged date with some guy I met on-line. We had a fun talk on the phone the other night and decided to meet up this weekend. I just got a voice mail from him. It goes like this:
We'll have to do something for free because I lost my ATM card in the machine on Friday and I have no cash.
Okay, I'm not the kind of gal who expects a guy to pay on the first date. I'm happy to go dutch in fact. But this is beyond tacky. First off, what free thing is there to do on a Sunday evening with someone you've never met before? (Besides come back to my place for sex?) Secondly, can you not just call a friend and say, "Yo, buddy. I have a first date with this hot chick Sunday evening and I lost my ATM card. Can I borrow twenty bucks?" That should be enough to cover a Pabst Blue Ribbon at some dive bar and bus fare home. (Yeah, that's right. I said home. Not back to my place for sex.)

This is the kind of thing that happened to me when I was in college. When the guys were 19 and asked to borrow seventy nine cents to buy a burrito at Taco Bell.

Seriously, sitting on my butt on the sofa and watching my butt expand is looking more and more appealing.

2 Comments:

At 12:13 PM, Blogger Cooks said...

i'd leave him a message saying, 'love might not cost a thing, but to get it a man needs some cash!'....

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger TessaJ said...

I was a bit nicer and e-mailed to say that perhaps it might be easiest to just reschedule. He left a funny voice mail this morning, saying that he thought it better to cancel.

Right now, though, I'm feeling rather apathetic about the whole thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home