A Dater's Life

Sunday, April 06, 2008

You are now entering...

...a bizarre, parallel dating universe.

Friday night before we went to sleep, Mr. Nice suggested that we hang curtains in my bedroom. I'm not sure what triggered this suggestion (well, beyond the fact that I've lived in my condo for over a year and still have my curtains taped and tacked up to the wall like I'm in a college dorm room or something) as we had been talking about taking a nice hike or something on Saturday.

But the man's an engineer. Who's going to turn down an offer like that?!

The day passed in a blur. After a nice brunch, we came back to my place to get ready to head out to buy supplies. There was a lot of measuring and writing down of numbers. We went to three different stores, bought some lovely curtains and curtain rods and (after a lengthy conversation at the hardware store about the different types of screws to use on drywall versus mortar versus wood) my very-first level.

Again, we came back to my place. A lot of measuring and writing down of numbers and taping and more measuring and levelling went on.

Mostly, I sat on the bed (looking cute) and watched Mr. Nice's butt. He didn't seem to mind, but instead worked away, every few minutes turning around (looking cute) to flash me a grin.
I did make juice. And handed him tools every few minutes.

What on earth has happened to me? A few years ago I would have protested, I can hang my own curtains, thankyouverymuch, and wound up slapping up some cheap, lopsided rods (probably not for another year or so, probably right before I decide to move again). I would have stood on my feminist soapbox and demanded that we break the duties in half.

I know there are plenty of things I can do that Mr. Nice can't, and I also know that he doesn't view me as some helpless, frail princess, waiting for her prince to hang her curtains. As he was leaving, I said to him, Well, you've proven yourself worthy; I'll keep you around....now to figure out what I can do for you!

Because in the end, I must admit that (1) Mr. Nice really is the best man -- the best person -- for a job like this; (2) if he's the best person, I'm truly one of the worst people for a job like this; (3) I really don't think there's anything wrong with watching his butt while he hangs curtains.

8 Comments:

At 7:42 AM, Blogger Mabs said...

I don't think there is anything wrong with you watching his butt while he hangs your curtains either!

So glad to read this, was thinking about the two of you last night. Hope you're well - you as in singular you, not the both of you although obviously I hope the both of you are well as well. Oh you know what I mean!

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Sometimes we have to step back and accept the niceness for what it is....a nice, genuine gesture. It's hard to do that so I'm proud of you (and also glad you had a nice view during the event!).

This dating stuff is certainly fun, if not confusing!

 
At 2:38 AM, Blogger Cooks said...

if you think dating stuff is confusing, try being in a relationship without being handed the manual at the beginning. (though figuring out the manual can be half the fun, and I mean can... :-))

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Exactly cookie! After getting out of a seven-year relationship a few years ago, I didn't think I'd ever start again with someone else!

But they're just so damn cute, it's hard to resist trying again. And the kisses aren't bad either.

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger TessaJ said...

Well, I'm still figuring out the manual (without being handed the manual) and let me tell you, it sure is confusing. I'm just trying to take it one date at a time and not project into the future!

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger TessaJ said...

Karen -- it really is a learning process, isn't it?

 
At 1:32 AM, Blogger Cooks said...

I think key might be to just enjoy it and not think about it too much.

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger TessaJ said...

My problem, though, cookie is that at a certain point I cross over a line where I start to feel like I'm getting invested in the person and the relationship. It's not a feeling of, "Oh, I'll die without him" of that I'll be destroyed if things don't work out. But when I cross that line it makes me difficult to just enjoy things without having ANY sense of where things are headed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home