A Dater's Life

Saturday, September 06, 2008

*Poof* he did it again....

I had been on the fence about NDVB, but at the end of our date, when he asked if I wanted to go to dinner, I said, "Yes." Then, when he e-mailed me a sweet e-mail a day after our date, I responded in kind.

Four days later...enter crickets chirping, tumbleweeds tumbling.

Pigs definitely not flying.

Poof, he did it again.

This is something that will never make any sense to me. Why on earth would someone not only ask another person out on a second date but then follow up with an e-mail only to instantly disappear? Sure, on some level I can say, "He's just not that into me," and if I'm honest, I know that I wasn't that into him, either. On some level I can keep a rational perspective and move on to the next one (I have moved on to the next one, now that I think about it).

But my frustration has nothing to do with NDVB as a person. Not in the slightest. I barely know him. It's the whole process of dating, especially on-line dating, that's frustrating to me. It's the big picture of dating that's ridiculous. I don't recall a world full of players five years ago (and I've dated a lot of players in my time, trust me), or maybe it's that the game playing is so utterly in our faces with on-line dating. It's unavoidable. It's mocking us, this game of dating, mocking us even if we succumb to playing ourselves.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 11:19 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

while i'm sorry you are going through this i am also somewhat relieved to hear that it isn't a uniquely Australian experience.

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger TessaJ said...

Oh no, you are definitely not alone!

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I should send you an invite to my blog so you can see the hell I have been through with internet dating. The last one ended over the weekend after 5 months so I'm a bit mssy at the moment and nowhere near ready to try again...but I will...eventually.

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger TessaJ said...

Oh yeah, I'd love to hear about your experiences. My last one ended two months ago -- after several months as well. It was my only remotely successful on-line dating experience.

You hang in there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home