A Dater's Life

Monday, September 03, 2007

For the first time in the history of humankind

(Yes, it's been awhile; no, I haven't gone and gotten married!)

Friday night, C and I decided to do a little bar-hopping. We were at one of our favorite Mission bars, Dalva, when these two guys approached us. We were having a good time talking and flirting with them, when one of them suddenly says:
I moved to San Francisco two years ago, and pretty much all I've done is have casual sex. Now that I'm 32, I'm ready to find the woman of my dreams, settle down, and have babies with her.

I said to him, do you really want children? Or is it simply that you think that's what a 32-year-old man should do?

He said that he had never given it much thought before. At this point, he and his friend ordered fresh pints. Just as he was taking that first, satisfying swig, I said:
I find it interesting how many men make that decision so abruptly when they hit their early 30s, as it's just so foreign to me. Though you're sitting here with two women who have pretty much decided that they don't want children.
He puts down his beer and turns to his friend and says, "You about ready to go?" and then turns to us and says, "Bye." They immediately leave the bar, full beers abandoned on the counter.

Very strange, indeed.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home